Helping you with the transition to accessible smartphone
Training to use a smartphone as a blind person can involve several steps and strategies, including:
- Orientation training: If you are new to using a smartphone as a blind person, it can be helpful to receive orientation training from a professional. This training can teach you how to use technology confidently, and how to use tools such as magnification or speech.
- Learning to use a screen reader: Screen readers can become essential for using a smartphone as a low sighted or blind person. You can learn to use a screen reader through online tutorials, training courses, or by working with a trainer who specialises in assistive technology.
- Familiarising yourself with apps: Most smartphones come with several built-in apps, such as a phone app, messaging app, and email app. Familiarise yourself with these apps and learn how to use them with your screen reader. You can also explore the App Store or Google Play Store to discover new apps that may be useful for you.
- Practising touch gestures: Using a smartphone involves a variety of touch gestures, such as tapping, swiping, and double-tapping. Practise these gestures regularly and use your screen reader to confirm that you are performing them correctly.
- Using voice commands: Voice commands can be useful for performing tasks on your smartphone without using touch gestures. Practice using voice commands with your screen reader and explore the different commands available on your device.
- Learning Braille input: If you are familiar with Braille, you may want to consider using a Braille display or keyboard to input text on your smartphone. Practice using Braille input regularly to become more comfortable with it.
- Large text and high-contrast display: These features make it easier for people with low vision to read text and view images on the screen.
We at Hable realise that training to use a smartphone as a blind person involves a combination of learning and practice. With patience and dedication, you can become proficient at using your smartphone and enjoy the many benefits it offers for communication, productivity, and entertainment.
Hable works with many organisations for smartphone and blindness training depending on your region. RNIB in the UK, Visio and Bartiméus in the Netherlands, AFB, NFB in the US, CNIB and CAT in Canada, Vision Australia in Australia.